We want you, whether you own or rent your residence, to know the impact on your neighborhood and home of the City’s proposed new land development code. The city staff’s first draft CodeNEXT was just released on January 30, and we want you to be engaged and express your views on changing the code. Our website and Facebook page will provide jargon-free, useful information as well as opportunities for you to be involved in influencing the Code to protect your community. While we are still reviewing the just released Code, here are some initial questions that we believe your neighbors and you should ask:
1. Will the new Code take away my home’s single-family zoning and change my neighborhood’s character?
2. Will affordable, older existing houses and apartments be demolished because of the new zoning provisions?
3. Will inappropriate businesses and commercial activities now be allowed in my neighborhood?
4. Will this new Code drive up my cost of living so high that I risk being displaced?
5. Will some neighborhoods get special privileges and protections that my neighborhood won’t?
6. Will the new Code lessen my right to influence and alter new developments in my neighborhood?
7. How can my neighbors and I get involved to ensure the City Council treats our neighborhood like a community and not as a commodity?
8. How will the new code affect our parks, green space, trees, and environment?